Monday, March 28, 2011

The Joys of Going Home

Home, as in the place where I grew up.  I love going to see my parents and watching the joy on my mom's face as she takes Madison out of my arms once Madison is released from her carseat. At least she gave me a quick hug and kiss before wisking my baby into the house for some play time! My dad's expression as he looks at the truck loaded up of stuff and always says "what are you moving in?" I love that my mom takes on all the duties of baby because she just wants as much time with Madison as possible. I don't blame her at all.

The problem I have when going home, isn't anyone or any place in particular. Its that as I drive the familiar roads all these memories come flooding back. Most are good memories, some are bad. What do these memories have to say about me?

The one that came back to me the strongest this time was of an ex boyfriend, more specifically my first love. He was a good guy until he wasn't, but that's not the point. Anyway. I was a freshman in college during spring semester. He came to NIU to surprise me. I just remember getting off the elevator and him standing there with a rose for me. It was a great surprise. I don't know if it was the same time, but this came back to me too. It was Easter weekend and he came to pick me up, brought me back to our hometown and I stayed the weekend with him at his parents house. I loved his family, like they were my own. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with them to church that Sunday morning. His mom gave me a glass bunny candle holder that Easter. It was one of the sweetest things. I think I still have it packed away in a box of all my candle stuff.

Another memory that came back was Friday night bowling! It feels like we went every Friday night for the longest time. Whenever I came back from college, my friend Christine and I would spend Friday night at the bowling alley. It was the place to go to see almost everyone we went to high school with!

Then the Christmas break memory. Oh god! I was so in love with him then. I ran into the first love at a pool hall, when I was out with another guy. That other guy went out to the car and I was saying bye to our friends and when I started walking out this pool cue stopped me. As I turned to see who it was, I couldn't catch my breathe. It had always been that way with him. It was him and the beginning of us getting back together.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about going home, there are so many memories and they can be really hard to deal with all at once. I hope you enjoyed your trip home.

    ReplyDelete