Monday, January 30, 2012

Change of plans

So I had my mind made up Thursday morning that I was going to IL to see my grandpa. I did laundry & packed Madison and myself. Got the truck partially loaded Thursday night, so all I needed to do was load our last minute stuff and feed Madison before we left Friday morning. Well, someone or should I say something had other plans for us. The husband left for work Friday morning, or at least I thought he had, .but within 5 minutes of him walking out the door he was back at it. His truck wouldn't start. Well, there went my intentions to leave that morning. I threw my truck keys at him and told him to go. I then had to call the dealership, who sent a flatbed truck out to pick it up. I got a call hours later about why it would start. I told them to fix it & to fix the other issue it had plus an oil change & a tire rotation. At least it was all done by the time the hubby got home and we picked it up.

We finally left Saturday morning to see Grandpa. We spent the majority of Saturday at Grandpa's. It was nice. We didn't talk about his cancer at all. We focused on spending the day together. We talked about memories. We discussed the house we are building and lots of other things.

Other than his looking a little on the pale side, he seemed to have a few ticks and I think struggled a little bit with talking (of course that could have been him trying to be nice since we were all there). These were very slight though and I don't think anyone would notice unless of course you are looking for it.

By the end of our visit Madison was warming up to Grandpa (she is shy & unsure of most men, but I'm sure Grandpa's walker wasn't helping either). She was good enough that she was walking right up to him and giving him teddy bears she was playing with.

My heart did break a little when right before we left Grandpa's he asked if we or anyone we know would want to buy his pop-up camper. Grandpa loves to camp and would never get rid of it unless he knew he would no longer be able to go camping. I knew in my head this to be true, but never really wanted to think about it.  It just puts what he is going through more into prespective and makes it all so real.

I am staying with my mom, but will be staying with a friend for 2 nights this week as she is going to watch Madison while I go and take Grandpa to at least 1 of his radiation treatments this week. I know he hates the fuss, but I don't get to make it back all the time and if I have to drive him to and from a treatment to spend time with him, then so be it.

I have always known I have the greatest friends, who I consider family, but their willingness to help & let us stay with them & watch my daughter & just overall be there to talk, listen or whatever has been the greatest gift anyone could have given me. I am so lucky to have such great people in my life. It is something that I will never forget!

1 comment: