Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hard Day Ahead

Today is going to be the hardest day. Today we lay Gramps to rest.

I've been ok since Monday. I mean there were the initial tears & sadness, but after seeing him suffer I was more relieved & was able to pull myself together quickly. There have been no more tears since then, but I awoke this morning feeling those tears build under the surface. I just know that the flood gates on those tears are going to open up at his funeral today & I will be a mess. I guess I shouldn't wear makeup today!

Last night was his wake. So many people showed up. I heard how loved he was by so many. I saw in the faces of those who lived in the old Chicago neighborhood we use to live in. To think he's been removed from there for 11 years & they still showed up to pay their respects to him. I think that says alot about my grandpa.

My Gramps meant the world to me. There is a lot a person could say about him. Here a few.

1. He was a hard worker - evident by the fact he worked 2 jobs for a long time.
2. He loved to camp & fish
3. He loved his family to no end
4. He dubbed himself Mr. Grumpy
5. He knew how to have fun! I mean he was a clown at one point!
6. He was proud of his military background & loved military history.
7. He was big on trains. He use to work on them as a brakemen & conductor.

I have so many good memories of the man & always  thought I would have so many more.

I remember being little & he worked nights so, he didn't get up until mid-day & I would run into his room, crawl up onto the bed and jump up & down until he woke up!
 I remember sitting on his lap Christmas morning & he would let me run the train under the tree.
 I remember a time I went fishing with him & we caught 2 fish, & put them in a bucket of water. We brought them back to the camper & left them outside in the bucket overnight. In the morning I got up and looked. There was only 1 fish left. Of course as a little girl & thought that the other fish ate it! He sat there an explained to me that another animal got the fish.
I remember him being pretty handy. He built a child size picnic table for us when we were little. I wish I had it now for my little girl!
I remember 4th of July parties in the backyard of the Chicago house & how much fun he had.
I remember on my wedding day how he told me he was proud of me & how he believed I chose the right man to marry.
He was so excited when he was told I was pregnant with Madison. Even until the very end he lite up whenever Madison was around. He loved her so & it showed.
Just a month ago he told me that I had picked a good man & he was glad I had him.


The only thing I wish was different was that I got to know him better. That I could tell more of his stories, so that a little more of him could live on. He only started telling us some of his stories in the last month or so.






No comments:

Post a Comment