Monday, October 11, 2010

Ventures into baby food making!

Oh, so much fun! I don't know why more women don't make their baby's food. There are so many great things about it.

1. Its cheaper than buying premade baby food.
2. You know what is in the food your baby is eating.
3. Isn't it just so much better to know that your child will be eating something that you made?
4. You can make it ahead of time and freeze it, so you don't have to scramble to make it later.

I'm sure there is so much more, but I can't think of them right now.

I decided that since I get to stay home with my daughter I should make her food. Since its going to save us some money in the long run, my husband was behind me on this. We already had a food processor, so we didn't need much. I had him go out to pick up some baby food containers. I know that ice cube trays would work, but with the stuff we have in our freezer (Deer meat, some times a deer head, thanks to hubby's hunting and wanting to mount stuff) I didn't feel safe putting my daughter's food in an ice cube tray even with plastic wrap over it, since hubby likes to put stuff on top of the ice cube trays. So I wanted the covered trays that you use for baby food. Well, he comes home with 2 other options, not bad ones, just others.

So we went to the apple orchard/pumpkin farm yesterday. We got a couple of acorn squash, a pumpkin and some apples. My MIL had brought us some butternut squash after she heard I was going to make Madison baby food. So we had lots to make.

Its all fairly easy to do. We put both squash & the pumpkin in the oven to cook. Then you just puree it, put it in containers and freeze! The apples we didn't have to cook. We just peeled, cored & pureed with a tiny bit of water, put in containers and froze. The apples actually got done yesterday. We don't have enough containers to puree and freeze all at the same time, so I'm doing this in shifts. So I put all the apple cubes into a plastic bag and labeled them. Then cleaned everything and pureed the pumpkin today. The pumpkin is currently in the freezer. I think I can do both squashes tomorrow and we will be done! Woohoo! I don't think I will need to make more food for a few weeks.

I'm very proud of myself. My baby will be eating such good, yummy, fruits and veggies that I made for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment