Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's hard to do the right things for your baby

Nowadays there are so many "rules" on what to do and not to do with an infant.

You should not let your baby sleep with a blanket.
You shouldn't use bumpers in the baby's crib.
You shouldn't use baby powder.
Baby should sleep on its back.

There are a million other things that I cannot even think of at this moment. Its not like our children come with instruction manuals. I feel like everyday I'm reading or being told that I should do this with my child or I shouldn't do that with my child. How do you know what to believe anymore? How did our generation survive?  I slept with a blanket on my tummy, my crib had bumpers and my mom used baby powder! How do you decide what is right for your child or your family? Most of my decisions so far have been helped with talking to my daughter's pediatrician and discussing with my husband.

Another part to this is why do other woman feel like it is their business to tell you, you are wrong in what you decide for your family? Some women get grief for formula feeding while others get it for breastfeeding in public. Your baby needs to be fed some way or another and both of these are good ways to feed them.  I wish I had the "balls" to feed her in public, but I didn't. I know there will be somethings other women do that I won't agree with, but its not my business or place to tell anyone else how to raise their children. If its a matter of safety, such as a baby not being strapped into a carseat with a car in motion, damn straight I'm going to say something!

No comments:

Post a Comment